Worldwide, Etsy has carved out a name for itself as one of the best places to get started in ecommerce. Its intuitive platform, strong user base, and powerful algorithm make it easy to earn money as a solo creative person, no matter what your craft is.
What Can I Sell On Etsy To Make Money?
Once you decide to sell on Etsy, you have to decide what you want to sell! While you can sell a random assortment of items, it’s best practice to carve out a niche by selecting 1-3 main offerings out of all the most popular items on Etsy.
Not sure what to pick? We can help! Whether you’re starting a brand-new Etsy store or you’re looking to expand your core offerings, this list will help you choose the best items to sell on Etsy.
You are likely to make more sales on special occasions. That’s why this content is for you! 👇🏻
Without a doubt, stickers are one of the top things to sell on Etsy. They’re easy to produce and store, cheap to ship, and they’re super popular! When it comes to selling stickers, you can take several approaches:
- Do It Yourself – If you’re a skilled designer and you don’t mind picking up a few essential pieces of equipment, going solo is the most profitable route. At a minimum, you’ll need design software, an inkjet printer, and printable sticker paper.
- Hire An Artist – If you don’t want to do everything yourself, you can outsource your design work to a few skilled artists and then print the stickers yourself.
- Print Professionally – If you want to design your stickers, but you don’t want to print them, then your best bet is to give your designs to a professional printer. The downside to this is that you may have to order a large inventory.
- Print On Demand – If you don’t want to print stickers yourself and you don’t want to manage inventory, you can partner with a print-on-demand (POD) service. Many of these services integrate automatically with Etsy, auto-generate simple mockups, and will even handle shipping for you, meaning all you need to do is create your designs and list your products on Etsy!
When pricing your stickers, you’ll need to factor in your operating costs and the size of the sticker. You could sell small stickers that you design and print on your own for $3, and you could sell large, professionally printed stickers for as much as $10+! With the Roketfy Product Research tool, you can discover the products you can sell and view how much the products are sold on Etsy.
One of the most common things that sell on Etsy is T-shirts! Compared to stickers, T-shirts are a bit harder to store, but they can sell for higher prices. Similar to stickers, you have several options when it comes to manufacturing and shipping T-shirts.
- Do It Yourself – If you’re willing to invest in a heat-press and some Heat Transfer Vinyl, or if you have access to screen-printing equipment, you can command high profits by designing, manufacturing, and shipping shirts yourself.
- Hire An Artist – If you want to make shirts, but you aren’t a designer, you can partner with an artist to make trendy designs in your niche.
- Print Professionally – If you are a skilled designer, but you don’t possess the means to make shirts yourself, you can take your designs to a local print shop (or find on online) to get them printed professionally. In order to get good prices, though, you’ll likely need to order in bulk.
- Print On Demand – Once again, if you want to avoid the hassle and risk of carrying an inventory, you can outsource manufacturing and fulfillment to a POD service. Most POD companies can print your designs in full color on dozens of different shirt styles and colors.
If you’re handling everything yourself, you could profit with prices as low as $14 (and attract lots of sales). If you are outsourcing your art or manufacturing, you’ll likely need to charge somewhere between $25 and $35 per shirt to make a profit.
Another one of the best things to sell on Etsy is mugs! Mugs are a popular collectible item since they can be both functional and attractive. Plus, they are small and affordable, so they make great gifts for birthdays and holidays. When it comes to selling mugs on Etsy, you can approach it in a few ways.
- Do It Yourself – As with stickers and shirts, you can design and manufacture mugs yourself by purchasing standard mugs and printing on them with a mug press. Alternatively, you can even hand-make mugs yourself and command much higher prices for one-of-a-kind items.
- Hire An Artist – If you want to print on standard mugs, but you aren’t a designer, you can have an artist bring your ideas to life, or you can find royalty-free images online.
- Print Professionally – If you want to do your own designs, but you don’t want to print on mugs yourself, you can order professionally printed mugs from many online retailers. However, you’ll need to order in bulk to secure the best prices.
- Print On Demand – And of course, if you want to focus solely on designing your mugs and managing your store, you can partner with a POD service to outsource manufacturing and shipping (and avoid the headache of inventory management).
Custom mugs can command a wide range of prices. Hand-crafted, one-of-a-kind pieces from a skilled crafter can sell for as much as $100+, while standard mugs with trendy prints will usually fetch somewhere between $15 and $25 on Etsy.
What Will You Sell On Etsy?
Stickers, shirts, and mugs are just three of the top items to sell on Etsy. Of course, the short list above doesn’t include everything you can sell in your store. Here are a few more of the best items to sell on Etsy:
- Paintings and Prints – You can either focus on one or offer both to maximize your potential
- Greeting Cards – From hand-painted cards to intricate pop-up designs, the only limit is your creativity
- Hats – Similar to the items above, you can either make and ship hats yourself or outsource production and fulfillment to a POD company
- Hand-Sewn Crafts – Depending on your skill level, you can sell a wide variety of one-of-a-kind, hand-sewn items like quilts, mug-holders (to go with your mugs!), dresses, flags, jackets, and anything else made of fabric
- Jewelry – Jewelry is a massive category on Etsy, including rings, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, tiaras, brooches, cufflinks, and more.
- Enamel Pins and Buttons – If you invest in some equipment, you can design and sell pins and buttons as unique accessories
When it comes to Etsy, there are virtually no limits to what types of crafts you can sell. If you can make it, you can sell it! Then, when you’re ready to build a successful Etsy store, you can accelerate your growth with powerful Etsy tools from Roketfy.